When one starts to read the book of Hebrews, they find something interesting. It is different from all the other epistles because it doesnâ€™t start by announcing the earthly authorâ€™s name. Many books have been written about who wrote it. This uniqueness shows the uniqueness of the one being written about. The subject of this book is the Eternal Son of Godâ€¦.Jesus Christ. God the Father wanted all to know it came straight from Himself. He didnâ€™t want any mere human to steal the glory or taint it so He does it himself. The epistle opens up with â€œGod who at sundry times and in dives manners spake in times past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son..â€. This is what John wrote about in his gospel in (1:18) â€œNo man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared Him.â€ (He hath made him visible) This is why man couldnâ€™t write about Him. It takes God to reveal Himself. Listen to these other verses in the gospel of John.
(John 5:37) â€œAnd the Father Himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His shape.â€
(John 6:46) â€œNot that any man hath seen the Father, save He which is of God, He hath seen the Father.â€ (He = Jesus)
(John 8:38) â€œI speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.â€
(John 14:8,9) â€œPhillip saith unto Him Lord shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, have I been with you so long and yet hast thou not known me, Phillip? HE THAT HATH SEEN ME HATH SEEN THE FATHERâ€¦â€¦â€
For says in Hebrews 1:1-3 that He has a final and full revelation of Himself these last days in His Son. Let us just look at what He has to say:
- He is appointed heir of all thingsâ€¦â€¦.the Father made all things for His Son. The Son is Lord of all.
- The Son made all thingsâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦He is the creator of all things.
- He is brightness of His gloryâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦He is effulgence or out working of His glory. (that which causes admiration.)
- Express image of His personâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦..He is the visible image of Godâ€™s essence. (image means, to press into wax)
- Upholds all things by His word of power..He is sustainer of all that exists.
- He by Himself purged our sinsâ€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦He is savior of sinners. (He by Himself.Alone)
- Sat down at the right hand of the majesty on highâ€¦â€¦.He rose from the dead and is in glory. First fruit of all who trust in Him.
Paul agreed with John and with God in these declarations. Please read (Colossians 1:12 to 22). Paul concluded so wonderfully in (Col 2:9,10) â€œFor in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Himâ€¦.â€ (Wow) Never a man in human history accomplished so much in so little a life time. It is the greatest human achievement. It is not just because of the quantity and the quality but that it affects man for all eternity. Glory to God.
So when you see Jesus in the gospels, you see God visible in human flesh.(Yet without sin.) You see what God does. You hear what God says. You see how he reacts in every situation of life.